[Python-Dev] HP-UX clean-up

Skip Montanaro skip at pobox.com
Wed Jan 7 17:13:25 EST 2004

    Cameron> Clearly.  I want to take this opportunity, though, to
    Cameron> understand attitude-intent-design, so that any patches in which
    Cameron> I'm involved will not merely imitate what (perhaps mistakenly)
    Cameron> exists, but will promote long-term usability and
    Cameron> maintainability.

Cameron,

We're talking about configure and you're talking about usability and
maintainability.  What rock have you been hiding under? <wink> On a more
serious note, if there is a way to break up configure.in into separate
scripts (I don't care if configure is generated as a single script) I'd be
happy to take a stab at it.  That would make it easier for potential editors
to restrict their damage^H^H^H^H^H^Henhancements to a smaller chunk of the
overall configure script.

If I can get a list of options currently generated for the HP compiler (not
GCC, right?) and what would produce a processor-independent executable, I'll
take a crack at tweaking configure.in and adding a --native-hpux flag or
something similar.

I think the basic problem here is that while many compilers can generate
processor-dependent code, the default is usually to create
processor-independent code.  It appears HP flipped the switch on that, so we
have to do a little more work to ensure processor independence.

Skip