[Python-Dev] Draft: PEP for imports

Charles Cazabon python at discworld.dyndns.org
Fri Jan 30 09:27:34 EST 2004

Armin Rigo <arigo at tunes.org> wrote:

>   import neatTricks in "/home/guido/lib/python"      # no package
>   import package.module in "/home/guido/lib/python"  # package
[...]
> where the semantics would be to search sys.path if and only if no 'in' clause
> is specified.  ('in' doesn't sound quite right...)

"at" more closely matches the apparent usage above, i.e.:

  from neatTricks at "/path/to/dir" import bar

It's a little less rosy as:

  import neatTricks at "/home/guido/lib/python"

but not too ugly.  Unfortunately the best grammatical match would be "from",
but I'm positive that would be objectionable to someone:

  from neatTricks from "/path/to/dir" import TrickyDick

Charles