[Python-Dev] Re: Absolute/Relative import switcher for packages (PEP 328)

Nicolas Fleury nidoizo at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 16 19:55:59 CEST 2004

Wiktor Sadowski wrote:
> FWIW:
> Here is the solution for  Absolute/Relative problem that we are using
> in our modified Python distribution...
>
> We have added a few lines of code to to get_parent in import.c.
> The code checks if there is "__absimport__=True" in parent dict
> and if so: absolute import is used in "child" module (get_parent returns
> Py_None)
>
> Then putting "__absimport__=True" into an __init__.py is enough to
> force absolute import for the whole package.
> (The "__absimport__=True" switcher should be put into each subpackage
> __init__.py,if desired)
>
> Such addition is fully compatible with existing
> Python import syntax and easy to use.
>
> Also:
> absolute import could be default,and "__relimport__=True"
> would switch to relative import.

Personally, I would like very much to have a way to specify as default
absolute imports in packages, instead of in modules.  I would not mind
if I have to specify it in all packages.  The environment where I work
uses a lot modules in few packages.  A way to specify it in packages
would ease our development until Python 2.6.

Regards,
Nicolas