[Python-Dev] Re: python-dev Summary for 2004-07-01 through2004-07-15[draft]

Michael Chermside mcherm at mcherm.com
Fri Jul 23 14:20:52 CEST 2004

The summary stated:

Terry Reedy writes:
> This strikes me as both misleading and potentially inflamatory.

I agree with Terry that this one should be phrased (and titled?)
differently. Here's how I might word it:

----------------------------------
Tail recursion proposal rejected
----------------------------------
Christopher King proposed a patch that performs tail call elimination
-- if a recursive call were the last action in a function then it
would be performed without creating a new stack frame. During a
**long** discussion, Guido rejected it, not because of implementation
problems (although there were some), but because he felt that it
might encourage a programming style that he considered non-Pythonic.

Contributing threads:
   - `Proper tail recursion
<http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2004-July/046150.html>`__

-- Michael Chermside