[Python-Dev] Compiling the Python sources with a C++ compiler (aCC)

Ronald Oussoren ronaldoussoren at mac.com
Sun Jun 27 12:20:30 EDT 2004

On 27-jun-04, at 13:56, Paul Sheer wrote:

>> Neil Hodgson:
>>    I think it is unlikely that such a large patch and resulting C++
>> compatibility policy will be accepted.
>

>> Paul Svensson:
>>
>> The Pythin sorces are written in C; that they fail to compile
>> when usung a compiler for a different language is a feature, not a
>> bug.
>>

> of course :-)
>
> however, most of the changes are good coding practice in any case.
>
> the rest are outright inconsistencies in the python source
> and ought to be fixed -
>
> for instance, the macros 'PyMODINIT_FUNC' and 'staticforward'
> are *not* used with consistency

This part of your patch should be fairly uncontroversial (but: I've not
read your patch and I'm not a Python developer).

I'd seperate your patch into two patches, one containing only this part
of your patch and another containing the changes that are necessary to
compile with a C++ compiler.

> in all, the patch is merely one-liner style changes, and
> nothing more. The patch is not large.
>
> on a philosophical note, one could have said that the Python
> sources were POSIX, and: "the fact that they fail to compile
> when using a different OS is a feature not a bug."

That might be because Python started out on a non-POSIX platform (IIRC)
:-)

Ronald
--
X|support bv            http://www.xsupport.nl/
T:  +31 610271479       F:  +31 204416173