[Python-Dev] Re: Small additions to optparser

Gustavo Niemeyer niemeyer at conectiva.com
Tue May 4 09:50:43 EDT 2004

> > - Add a help formatter which uses capitalized headers.
>
> Sure, looks simple enough.

Great! Thanks!

> How is that different from the existing 'description' that David
> Goodger added for Optik 1.4?

Here is real example. I have the following help text:

HELP = """\
Usage: repsys COMMAND [COMMAND ARGUMENTS]

Useful commands:
    co
    submit
    create
    getspec
    getsrpm
    changed
    authoremail

Run "repsys COMMAND --help" for more information.
"""

Using OptionParser(description=HELP) and "repsys --help", I get:

"""
Usage: repsys [options]

Usage: repsys COMMAND [COMMAND ARGUMENTS]  Useful commands:
co     submit     create     getspec     getsrpm     changed
authoremail  Run "repsys COMMAND --help" for more information.
  --version   show program's version number and exit
  -h, --help  show this help message and exit
  --debug
"""

While using OptionParser(help=HELP) and "repsys --help", I get:

"""
Usage: repsys COMMAND [COMMAND ARGUMENTS]

Useful commands:
    co
    submit
    create
    getspec
    getsrpm
    changed
    authoremail

Run "repsys COMMAND --help" for more information.
"""

[...]
> So either post your patches to optik-users at lists.sourceforge.net, or
> file 'em on the Optik tracker at SF.  Nothing wrong with cc'ing
> python-dev at the same time, though.

Will do that. Thanks!

--
Gustavo Niemeyer