[Python-Dev] Tests broken on Windows

Raymond Hettinger python at rcn.com
Mon Nov 1 07:50:29 CET 2004

> Fixed that already for WinXP.  No current failures in the -uall test
> suite.  Is there a bug report for this ME problem?  Exactly how does
> it fail?

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "test_traceback.py", line 79, in test_bug737473
    test_bug737473.test()
  File "c:\windows\temp\tmpsj7w5a\test_bug737473.py", line 2, in test
ValueError

> Does it work if you force the test to take the time.sleep()
> path instead of the os.utime() path?

Yes.

>  Is posixmodule.c's posix_utime()
> taking the utime() or _wutime() path on ME?  If the latter, does it
> work if you force it to take the utime() path instead?  MS docs claim
> utime() and _wutime() work "under Windows 98/Me and Windows
> NT/2000/XP", but they could be lying:
>
> <http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-
> us/vclib/html/_crt__utime.2c_._wutime.asp>
>
> That link has a wonderful C example:  if you study the sample output,
> it shows that the sample code they ran had no visible effect <wink>.

Am challenged for time in the next couple of days.  Will delve deeper at
the first opportunity.

For the time being, I think it would be best to use sleep() instead of
utime().  While it costs three seconds, at least we know it to be a
platform independent test.  It is rather late in the game to be
debugging OS specific problems introduced by a new check-in.

Raymond