[Python-Dev] TRUNK FROZEN for 2.4b2 release from 0000UTC 3rd November (tomorrrow)

Brett C. bac at OCF.Berkeley.EDU
Tue Nov 2 21:24:38 CET 2004

Anthony Baxter wrote:
> The trunk should be considered frozen for the 2.4b2 release from 0000
> UTC tomorrow, Wed 3rd November. That's (if my sums are correct) 2nd
> November from 1900 US Eastern time, and 1600 US Pacific time. Or,
> to put it another way, in about 11 hours from when I'm sending this
> message.

Is a deprecation of a function okay in the Mac C API?  Specifically,
PyMac_GetAppletScriptFile() is not being used by any known code and is a
problem for http://www.python.org/sf/1035255 (removes dependency of compiling
against some frameworks for the core on OS X).  Since I didn't feel totally
safe applying the patch for b2 since it changed compilation and I didn't get in
early enough to get testing from CVS users I was planning on deprecating
PyMac_GetAppletScriptFile() for 2.4 and removing it in 2.5 so I could apply the
patch then.

But it is a feature change so I wanted to get clearance first.  As I said, to
the best of my and Bob Ippolito's knowledge no one is using the function and it
is a hinderance in removing unneeded linking against the core on OS X.

Sorry I didn't do this sooner but I didn't think about deprecating the thing
until late last night.

-Brett