[Python-Dev] Patches

Carlos Ribeiro carribeiro at gmail.com
Wed Oct 20 15:21:36 CEST 2004

On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 02:20:12 -0400, Raymond Hettinger <python at rcn.com> wrote:
> [Oleg Broytmann]
> > http://python.org/sf/821862
> >    Makes ftplib.py a bit more RFC959-compliant. The RFC requires the
> FTP
> > protocol to be run not over TCP but over telnet. For most people there
> > is no difference but there is a subtle different for those who use
> > non-ASCII encodings: chr(255) - a special character in telnet -
> requires
> > a special handling. My patch adds a toggle that allows to turn telnet
> on
> > (actually, it only doubles chr(255) in command stream, but it is one
> of
> > two things that are required for FTP-over-telnet). By default it is
> off
> > to preserve backward compatibility.
>
> Is there a real need for this?  As you mention in the patch, FTP is
> usually not run over telnet.  This module has been around for years and
> there has been zero user demand for the feature.  I suspect this is a
> waste of bits.

It reminds Postel's Law:

"Be conservative in what you do, be liberal in what you accept from others."
[Section 2.10 - RFC 793]

So... if the RFC states that it should run over telnet, then standard
implementations should do it. But, according to Martin's proposed
rules -- which I entirely agree with -- my vote still doesn't count,
as I haven't reviewed any patch yet; so please take it only as a
general opinion on the subject.

low demand nonetheless. Priority may be low, but its still a relevant
patch, IMHO

--
Carlos Ribeiro
Consultoria em Projetos