[Python-Dev] Subversion

Holger Krekel pyth at devel.trillke.net
Tue Sep 7 23:50:53 CEST 2004

Bob Ippolito wrote:

> On Sep 7, 2004, at 4:51 PM, Martin v. L?wis wrote:
>
> >Fred L. Drake, Jr. wrote:
> >>(I'm really looking forward to Subversion 1.1; all the advantage of
> >>Subversion, without the disadvantage of Berkeley DB...!)
> >
> >What *is* the disadvantage of Berkeley DB that the file storage of
> >svn 1.1 will remove? One of the things that you could do in CVS that
> >you can't easily do because of the DB approach is to ultimately
> >remove a file, along with its entire history (by removing the ,v file).
> >Along with that goes the option of moving part of a repository into
> >another repository.
>
> The biggest complaint I've heard, and I believe the reason for the
> optional alternative database implementation in 1.1,  is that the
> Berkeley DB must be on a single local volume.

the primary reason was more to be able to have a local svn
repository on SMB or NFS network storage.

Apparently there are a lot of commercial environments who used
cvs this way and the svn developers answered to this pressure
with the new "FSFS" backend. See

    http://subversion.tigris.org/svn_1.1_releasenotes.html

for more info.

cheers,