[Python-Dev] Subversion

Guido van Rossum gvanrossum at gmail.com
Wed Sep 8 17:03:39 CEST 2004

Somebody in this thread said that files don't belong in a db, and
proposed to only put the metadata in the db. That argument seems
misguided to me: when recovering the db and filesystem after a host
crash, you'd have to go to extra hoops to make sure the metadata
matches the filesystem data. Note that Perforce puts everything in a
database and it's rock solid. The main problems I had with svn's use
of Berkeley DB were packaging issues (but then, I was using a pre-1.0
beta of svn) and poor management of the Berkeley DB by the svn code,
requiring frequent db "recovery" actions; also a bug that caused
accesses by different users to hose the database in a subtle way. All
of that seems fixable.

Ask me about gmail.