[Python-Dev] Re: hierarchicial named groups extension to the re library

Gustavo Niemeyer gustavo at niemeyer.net
Mon Apr 4 02:16:19 CEST 2005

Greetings,

> If this kind of functionality would fall on immediate rejection for
> some reason, even writing the PEP might be pointless. If the
[...]

In my opinion the functionality is useful.

> I personally think that the proposed functionality should *not* live
> in a separate module, but somehow be integrated into SRE. Whether or
[...]

Agreed. I propose to integrate this functionality into the SRE syntax,
so that this special kind of group may be used when explicitly wanted.
This would avoid backward compatibility problems, would give each
regular expression a single meaning, and would allow interleaving
hierarchical/non-hierarchical groups.

I offer myself to integrate the change once we decide on the right
way to implement it, and achieve consensus on its adoption.

Best regards,

--
Gustavo Niemeyer
http://niemeyer.net