[Python-Dev] Re: [Pythonmac-SIG] zipfile still has 2GB boundary bug

Alan McIntyre alan.mcintyre at esrgtech.com
Wed Apr 27 03:48:06 CEST 2005

Bob Ippolito wrote:

> One of the most useful things that could happen to the zipfile module
> would be a stream interface for both reading and writing.  Right now
> it's slow and memory hungry when dealing with large chunks.  The use
> case that lead me to fix this bug is a tool that archives video to zip
> files of targa sequences with a reference QuickTime movie.. so I end
> up with thousands of bite sized chunks.

While it's probably not an improvement on the order of magnitude you're
looking for, there's a patch (1121142) that lets you read large items
out of a zip archive via a file-like object.  I'm occasionally running
into the 2GB problem myself, so if any changes are made to get around
that I can at least help out by testing it against some "real-life" data
sets.

Alan