[Python-Dev] PEP: Migrating the Python CVS to Subversion

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Tue Aug 2 04:07:50 CEST 2005

    Donovan> Yeah. IMHO the sadest thing about SVN is it doesn't do
    Donovan> branch/merge properly. All the other cool stuff like
    Donovan> renames etc is kinda undone by that.  [...]  This is why
    Donovan> I don't bother migrating any existing CVS projects to
    Donovan> SVN; the benefits don't yet outweigh the pain of
    Donovan> migrating.

FWIW, XEmacs just had this discussion, and we basically came to the
conclusion that for a multi-developer project it's _definitely_ worth
the effort if it can be done by cvs2svn (which for us it probably
can't, due to some black magic we did on the CVS repository a few
years ago :-( ).  For the record, I was opposed for exactly the reason
you give, but changed my mind.

The point is that with several developers there's almost surely
someone enthusiastic enough about svn to bear the burden of fooling
with the script for a couple of hours to see if it works, a fascist
policy about migrating account names makes that almost trivial, and
after that it's all gravy: the administration does not look any worse,
the security issues are similar, and the change is likely to incite
only a few people to press for account name changes after the move.