[Python-Dev] PEP 347: Migration to Subversion

Tim Peters tim.peters at gmail.com
Tue Aug 16 23:00:43 CEST 2005

[Raymond Hettinger]
> +1 from me.  CVS is meeting my needs but I would definitely benefit from
> fast diffs and atomic commits.  My experiences with SVN to-date have all
> been positive and it was easy to learn.

Good!  That was my experience too, BTW -- SVN was a genuine
improvement over CVS, and I was productive with it the first hour.
There are "tricks" you'll learn too (or already have); for example, if
you make a bunch of changes in a local checkout, and have to drop it
for a while, it's easy and fast to create an SVN branch with those
changes despite that you didn't plan on it from the start (create a
new branch in the repository; `svn switch` to it locally, which leaves
your local changes alone; then commit).

> Also, I think it is a nice plus that our choosing SVN means that others
> can choose SVK and get the benefits of a distributed rcs without us
> having to do anything extra to support it.  James Knight's thoughts on
> the subject seem on target.

Too new-fashioned for me, although I can see how it might appeal to kids ;-)