[Python-Dev] wush.net details
"Martin v. Löwis"
martin at v.loewis.de
Sun Aug 21 15:34:57 CEST 2005
I made a service request at wush.net, asking for more details
about their service. There was a first response within 6 hours,
asking for more time to prepare an answer. I said I don't need
one urgently, and, with apologies, got a response one week
I added the essence to the PEP; namely:
- The machine would be a Virtuozzo Virtual Private Server (VPS),
hosted at PowerVPS.
- The default repository URL would be
but anything else could be arranged
- we would get SSH login to the machine, with sudo capabilities.
- They have a Web interface for management of the various SVN
repositories that we want to host, and to manage user accounts.
While svn+ssh would be supported, the user interface does not
yet support it (although he said they might have something
- For offsite mirroring/backup, they suggest to use rsync
instead of download of repository tarballs.
So it seems that the "regular" administrative overhead would
be roughly the same on wush.net and python.org: we would
have to maintain account information ourselves; the initial
setup might be easier due to the UI wizard help.
I understand that the hope when using a commercial service
is that its availability is higher, due to us paying somebody
for the availability. Of course, Bob Ippolito's report is
More information about the Python-Dev