[Python-Dev] Is msvcr71.dll re-redistributable?

Thomas Heller theller at python.net
Wed Feb 2 22:16:10 CET 2005

"Neil Hodgson" <nhodgson at bigpond.net.au> writes:

> Anders J. Munch:
>
>> 1. John X. Programmer buys the product, agrees to the EULA and puts
>>    the DLL up for download, with the explicit and stated intent of
>>    distributing it to anyone who needs it.
>
>    Disallowed in 3.1(a):
> # you agree: ... to distribute the Redistributables only ... in
> # conjunction with and as a part of a software application
> # product developed by you that adds significant and primary
> # functionality to the Redistributables

All this pretty much subsumes what I was thinking.

The only question that remains is: why are there some sites like
http://www.dll-files.com/ which offer this and other MS dlls for
download?

For the spambayes binary, maybe there should be another person adding
the msvcr71.dll to the distribution that Tony builds?  Someone who has a
MSVC license, and also is developer on the spambayes project?

Thomas