[Python-Dev] license issues with profiler.py and md5.h/md5c.c

Donovan Baarda abo at minkirri.apana.org.au
Sat Feb 12 00:11:01 CET 2005

G'day again,

From: "Gregory P. Smith" <greg at electricrain.com>
> > I think it would be cleaner and simpler to modify the existing
> > md5module.c to use the openssl md5 layer API (this is just a
> > search/replace to change the function names). The bigger problem is
> > deciding what/how/whether to include the openssl md5 implementation
> > sources so that win32 can use them.
>
> yes, that is all i was suggesting.
>
> win32 python is already linked against openssl for the socket module
> ssl support, having the md5 and sha1 modules depend on openssl should
> not cause a problem.

IANAL... I have too much common sense, so I won't argue licences :-)

So is openssl already included in the Python sources, or is it just a
dependency? I had a quick look and couldn't find it so it must be a
dependency.

Given that Python is already dependant on openssl, it makes sense to change
md5sum to use it. I have a feeling that openssl internally uses md5, so this
way we wont link against two different md5sum implementations.