[Python-Dev] Re: OpenSSL sha module / license issues with md5.h/md5c.c

Gregory P. Smith greg at electricrain.com
Mon Feb 14 01:21:54 CET 2005

On Mon, Feb 14, 2005 at 11:02:23AM +1100, Donovan Baarda wrote:
> On Sat, 2005-02-12 at 17:35 -0800, Gregory P. Smith wrote:
> > I've created an OpenSSL version of the sha module.  trivial to modify
> > to be a md5 module.  Its a first version with cleanup to be done and
> > such.  being managed in the SF patch manager:
> >
> >  https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&aid=1121611&group_id=5470&atid=305470
> >
> > enjoy.  i'll do more cleanup and work on it soon.
>
> Hmmm. I see the patch entry, but it seems to be missing the actual
> patch.
>
> Did you code this from scratch, or did you base it on the current
> md5module.c? Is it using the openssl sha interface, or the higher level
> EVP interface?
>
> The reason I ask is it would be pretty trivial to modify md5module.c to
> use the openssl API for any digest, and would be less risk than
> fresh-coding one.

Ugh.  Sourceforge ignored it on the patch submission.  i've attached
it properly now.

This initial version is derived from shamodule.c which does not have
any license issues.  it is currently only meant as an example of how
easy it is to use the openssl hashing interface.

I'm taking it an turning it into a generic openssl hash wrapper
that'll do md5 sha1 and anything else.

-g