[Python-Dev] Re: PEP 309 (Was: Patch review: [ 1094542 ] add Bunch type to collections module)

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Sat Jan 29 23:15:40 CET 2005

On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 09:49:48 +0000, Paul Moore <p.f.moore at gmail.com> wrote:
> On the subject of  "things everyone ends up rewriting", what needs to
> be done to restart discussion on PEP 309 (Partial Function
> Application)? The PEP is marked "Accepted" and various patches exist:
>
> 941881 - C implementation
> 1006948 - Windows build changes
> 931010 - Unit Tests
> 931007 - Documentation
> 931005 - Reference implementation (in Python)
>
> I get the impression that there are some outstanding tweaks required
> to the Windows build, but I don't have VS.NET to check and/or update
> the patch.
>
> Does this just need a core developer to pick it up? I guess I'll go
> off and do some patch/bug reviews...

OK, I reviewed some bugs. Could I ask that someone review 941881
(Martin would be ideal, as he knows the Windows build process -
1006948 should probably be included as well).

If I'm being cheeky by effectively asking that a suite of patches be
reviewed in exchange for 5 bugs, then I'll review some more - I don't
have time now, unfortunately. I justify myself by claiming that the
suite of patches is in effect one big patch split into multiple
tracker items... :-)

Bugs reviewed:

1083306 - looks fine to me, I recommend applying. I've added a patch
for CVS HEAD.

1058960 - already fixed in CVS HEAD (rev 1.45) - can be closed.
Backport candidate?

1033422 - This is standard Windows behaviour, and should be retained.
I recommend closing "Won't Fix".

1016563 - The patch looks fine, I've added a patch against CVS HEAD.
The change was introduced in revision 1.32 from patch 527518. It looks
accidental. I can't reproduce the problem, but I can see that it could
be an issue. I recommend applying the patch.

977250 - Not a bug. I've given an explanation in the tracker item, and
would recommend closing "Won't Fix".

Also, while looking at patches I noticed 1077106. It doesn't apply to
me - I don't use Linux - but it looks like this may have simply been
forgotten. The last comment is in December from from Michael Hudson,
saying in effect "I'll commit this tomorrow". Michael?

Paul.