[Python-Dev] LinkedHashSet/LinkedHashMap equivalents

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Wed Mar 9 21:01:40 CET 2005

Delaney, Timothy C (Timothy) wrote:
> Does anyone else think it would be worthwhile adding these to
> collections, or should I just make a cookbook entry?

-0 for the addition to the collections module, -1 on the specific
name.

Java made a *big* mistake by putting "Hash" into the names of these
things. From the outside, it is primarily a Dictionary; only when
you look closer you see that this specific dictionary requires
hashable keys (as opposed to, say, the C++ std::map, which requires
sortable keys).

So consequently, the data type should be called OrderedDictionary,
and its cookbook recipe is

http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Cookbook/Python/Recipe/107747

Regards,
Martin