[Python-Dev] SWT PyCon Sprint?

Nicholas Bastin nbastin at opnet.com
Thu Mar 10 22:06:54 CET 2005

On Mar 10, 2005, at 11:00 AM, Phillip J. Eby wrote:

> At 01:38 AM 3/10/05 -0500, Nicholas Bastin wrote:
>> I realize that this is exceedingly late in the game, but is anybody
>> interested in doing a Write-Python-Bindings-for-SWT sprint?  It's
>> been brought up before in various places, and PyCon seems the likely
>> place to get enough concentrated knowledge to actually get it kicked
>> off and somewhat working...
>
> I'm certainly interested in the concept in general, though I'm curious
> whether the planned approach is a GCJ/SWIG wrapper, or a javaclass
> (bytecode translation)+ctypes dynamic approach.  I'm somewhat more
> interested in the latter approach, as I find C++ a bit of a pain with
> respect to buildability.

I'm open to either approach.  I don't know a lot about JNI, so I was
hoping somebody would come along for the ride who could answer certain
questions about how SWT is implemented.  A third option would be to
grovel over SWT and implement an identical functionality in Python
(pure-python plus ctypes), and make a mirror implementation, rather
than a wrapper.  What approach we take depends largely on who shows up
and what they feel comfortable with.

> An additional complication is that SWT is a different package on each
> platform, so it's not so much "port SWT to Python" as "port
> SWT-windows to Python", "port SWT-Mac to Python", etc.

The API is identical for each platform, however, so depending on the
level at which you wrapped it, this is only a build problem.

> (I assume that you're talking about porting to a JVM-less CPython
> extension, since if you were to leave it in Java you could just use
> Jython or one of the binary Python-Java bridges to access SWT as-is.)

Yes, JVM-less CPython extension would be the plan.

--
Nick