[Python-Dev] thread semantics for file objects

Aahz aahz at pythoncraft.com
Thu Mar 17 22:25:44 CET 2005

On Thu, Mar 17, 2005, Jeremy Hylton wrote:

> Are the thread semantics for file objecst documented anywhere?  I
> don't see anything in the library manual, which is where I expected to
> find it.  It looks like read and write are atomic by virtue of fread
> and fwrite being atomic.

Uncle Timmy will no doubt agree with me: the semantics don't matter.
NEVER, NEVER access the same file object from multiple threads, unless
you're using a lock.  And even using a lock is stupid.

"The joy of coding Python should be in seeing short, concise, readable
classes that express a lot of action in a small amount of clear code --
not in reams of trivial code that bores the reader to death."  --GvR