[Python-Dev] thread semantics for file objects

Jeremy Hylton jhylton at gmail.com
Thu Mar 17 22:47:20 CET 2005

On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 16:25:44 -0500, Aahz <aahz at pythoncraft.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 17, 2005, Jeremy Hylton wrote:
> >
> > Are the thread semantics for file objecst documented anywhere?  I
> > don't see anything in the library manual, which is where I expected to
> > find it.  It looks like read and write are atomic by virtue of fread
> > and fwrite being atomic.
>
> Uncle Timmy will no doubt agree with me: the semantics don't matter.
> NEVER, NEVER access the same file object from multiple threads, unless
> you're using a lock.  And even using a lock is stupid.

I'm not looking for your permission or approval.  I just want to know
what semantics are intended.  If the documentation wants to say that
the semantics are undefined that okay, although I think we need to say
more because some behavior has been provided by the implementation for
a long time.

Jeremy