[Python-Dev] Tidier Exceptions

Guido van Rossum gvanrossum at gmail.com
Fri May 13 11:06:27 CEST 2005

[Greg Ewing]
> Are there plans as to when string exceptions will be
> exterminated? Surely the only places they're used now
> are in some very old library modules.

No concrete plans; I was always planning to abandon them in 3.0 but
haven't felt the need to do it sooner. Last I looked Zope 2 still
depended on them (especially in the bowels of ZODB); maybe Tim Peters
knows if that's still the case.

If you want to do it sooner, maybe we need a small PEP with the
timeline (e.g. warn in Python 2.5, illegal in Python 2.6). Or perhaps
a patch on SF is all that's needed.

I expect it would be much more challenging to switch to the model
where all exceptions derive from a single (new-style) base class.

(And no, there are no plans to kill classic classes before 3.0 either.)