[Python-Dev] Freezing the CVS on Oct 26 for SVN switchover

Tim Peters tim.peters at gmail.com
Tue Nov 1 00:48:44 CET 2005

[Guido]
> Help!
>
> What's the magic to get $Revision$ and $Date$ to be expanded upon
> checkin? Comparing pep-0352.txt and pep-0343.txt, I noticed that the
> latter has the svn revision and date in the headers, while the former
> still has Brett's original revision 1.5 and a date somewhere in June.
> I tried to fix this by rewriting the fields as $Revision$ and $Date$
> but that doesn't seem to make a difference.
>
> Googling for this is a bit tricky because Google collapses $Revision
> and Revision, which makes any query for svn and $Revision rather
> non-specific. :-(  It's also not yet in our Wiki.

You have to set the `svn:keywords` property on each file for which you
want these kinds of expansions:

    http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.0/ch07s02.html#svn-ch-7-sect-2.3.4

Use

    svn propedit svn:keywords path/to/file

to set that property to what you want.

Looking at your examples,

C:\Code>svn proplist -v http://svn.python.org/projects/peps/trunk/pep-0343.txt
Properties on 'http://svn.python.org/projects/peps/trunk/pep-0343.txt':
  svn:keywords : Author Date Id Revision
  svn:eol-style : native

So that has svn:keywords set, and expansion occurs.  OTOH,

C:\Code>svn proplist -v http://svn.python.org/projects/peps/trunk/pep-0352.txt

Nada -- that one doesn't even have svn:eol-style set.

See

    http://wiki.python.org/moin/CvsToSvn

section "File Modes" for how to convince SVN to automatically set the
properties you want on new files you commit (unfortunately, each
developer has to do this in their own SVN config file).