[Python-Dev] Mapping cvs version numbers to svn revisions?

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Sat Nov 12 19:10:08 CET 2005

skip at pobox.com wrote:
> In a bug report I filed Neal Norwitz referred me to an earlier, fixed, bug
> report from before the cvs-to-svn switch.  The file versions were thus cvs
> version numbers instead of svn revisions.  Is it possible to map from cvs
> version number to svn?

It would have been possible in the process of using cvs2svn, which could
have generated subversion properties to collect the CVS revision
numbers. I decided against doing so, as this will become less important
over time, and I was uncertain if we would still have to carry those
properties around on the trunk forever. I also expected that in most
cases, it should be easy to find the relationship from the commit
messages. Also, nobody requested that feature in the test installation.

If somebody wants to come up with something (e.g. rerunning the
conversion, only to create some kind of mapping file): the
tarball that was used to do the conversion is at

http://svn.python.org/snapshots/python-cvsroot-final.tar.bz2

Regards,
Martin