[Python-Dev] s/hotshot/lsprof

Tim Peters tim.peters at gmail.com
Mon Nov 21 03:02:58 CET 2005

[Martin v. Löwis]
>> I'm really concerned that the same fate will happen to any new
>> profiling library: anybody but the original author will hate it,
>> write his own, and then suggest to replace the existing one.

[Fredrik Lundh]
> is this some intrinsic property of profilers?  if the existing tool has
> problems, why not improve the tool itself?

How many regexp engines has Python gone through now?  Profilers are
even more irritating to write and maintain than those -- and you
presumably know why you started over from scratch instead of improving
pcre, or whatever-the-heck-it-was that came before that ;-)

> do we really need CADT-based development in the standard library?

Since I didn't know what that meant, Google helpfully told me:

     Center for Alcohol & Drug Treatment

Fits, anyway <wink>.