[Python-Dev] Replacement for print in Python 3.0

Charles Cazabon python at discworld.dyndns.org
Thu Sep 1 23:46:20 CEST 2005

Fredrik Lundh <fredrik at pythonware.com> wrote:
> Charles Cazabon wrote:
>
> > in fact, it does nothing for the program but merely has the interesting
> > side-effect of writing to stdout.
>
> yeah, real programmers don't generate output.

That wasn't quite my point - I meant that the rest of Python's statements (to
a one) all have a quite fundamental impact on what the code in question means.
`print` doesn't.

I write data filters in Python all the time -- but I virtually never use
`print`.  stdout.write() is more consistent /and/ parallel to stdin.read().
`print` should go away, at least as a statement.

Charles