[Python-Dev] Replacement for print in Python 3.0

Krzysztof Zych k33rni at gmail.com
Fri Sep 2 11:25:41 CEST 2005

> And good riddance! The print statement harks back to ABC and even
> (unvisual) Basic. Out with it!

I disagree strongly. I can't count the number of times I've been
p*ssed having to write
something like System.out.println("point(" + this.x + "," + this.y
+")") in Java. (Strangely though, I don't object to having printf() in
C, but I know it doesn't work any other way). This is what I liked
about Python, it offered a no-frills way to get the job done (TSOOWTDI
and the like).

I agree it's mostly used for debugging purposes, to do quick-and dirty
calculations, etc. Nothing can beat it. We don't want the language to
be pure, we want it to be useful. Isn't "Practicality beats purity" in
the Zen of Python? Last time I checked (2.4.1) it was there, and
updating Zen isn't in PEP 3000 ;)

-1 on removal of print.