[Python-Dev] Replacement for print in Python 3.0

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Fri Sep 2 10:18:10 CEST 2005

On 9/2/05, Ron Adam <rrr at ronadam.com> wrote:
> Jim Jewett wrote:
> > Putting the spaces back in (without a format string) would
> > be even worse.  Charles Cazabon's pointed out that it *could*
> > be as simple as
> >
> >     writeln(' '.join( ... ))
>
> Why not just offer an addition method ?
>
> examine(x,y,z)   # print with spaces

Because we're now up to *four* stream methods, plus the same number of
builtins, to do what one statement currently does?

(BTW, the ' '.join() idiom has a minor disadvantage in that it
*builds* the output string, whereas print doesn't. Not a major issue,
given the typical sizes of strings to be output, but it's another cost
nevertheless...)

Paul.