[Python-Dev] Use dlopen() on Darwin/OS X to load extensions?

Zachary Pincus zpincus at stanford.edu
Mon Apr 3 16:58:57 CEST 2006

Hi folks,

I submitted a patch a little while ago to led Python on Darwin/OS X
use the same code path to load extensions it uses on most other Unix-
like platforms. (The reasons for this are several, and mentioned in
the patch: http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?
func=detail&aid=1454844&group_id=5470&atid=305470 ).

Anyhow, IMO if this patch is to be included at all (I rather think it
should, and will happily discuss that on this list or on the patch
comments to clarify why this is so), it probably ought to make it
into python 2.5 earlier rather than later. While I'm almost certain
that these changes will cause no issues (as Apple officially
encourages use of dlopen() as a drop-in replacement for the
officially 'discouraged' NeXT-derived functions that Python now uses
to load extensions), it would seem more prudent to give a low-level
change like this plenty of time to settle out in case I am wrong.

I've run this by the python-mac folks, and there seemed to be some
assent, or at least no complaint. Bob Ippolito appeared to think that
this approach was the best to making Python on the Mac load
extensions properly in some corner cases (see the patch description
for more details), but he hasn't weighted in for a while.

Sorry if it's bad form to ask about patches one has submitted -- let
me know if that sort of discussion should be kept strictly on the
patch tracker.

Zach Pincus

Program in Biomedical Informatics and Department of Biochemistry
Stanford University School of Medicine