[Python-Dev] [Python-checkins] r45321 - in python/trunk: Lib/test/test_traceback.py Lib/traceback.py Misc/NEWS

Tim Peters tim.peters at gmail.com
Sun Apr 16 00:57:14 CEST 2006

[John J Lee]
> You mentioned use of '...' / ELLIPSIS, IIRC, so I assumed that would work
> -- but it seems not, from your latest post (that I'm replying to here).

Different context -- answering why IGNORE_EXCEPTION_DETAIL exists
given that ELLIPSIS can do everything it does (provided you don't care
about Pythons before 2.4). That sub-thread was a red herring (a
distraction from the real topic here).

> Hmm, will 2.5's doctest work under Python 2.4?  I guess that's not
> guaranteed, since I don't see any comment in doctest.py implying it needs
> to be compatible with old Pythons.

doctest compatibility with 2.4 is neither a goal nor a non-goal for
2.5.  I'm not sure why it's being asked, since the incompatible change
projected for 2.5 is in how the trackback module spells some exception
names; and doctest (every version of doctest) gets its idea of the
name of an exception from the traceback module.