[Python-Dev] [Python-checkins] r45321 - in python/trunk: Lib/test/test_traceback.py Lib/traceback.py Misc/NEWS

John J Lee jjl at pobox.com
Sun Apr 16 14:25:47 CEST 2006

On Sat, 15 Apr 2006, Tim Peters wrote:
[...]
>> Hmm, will 2.5's doctest work under Python 2.4?  I guess that's not
>> guaranteed, since I don't see any comment in doctest.py implying it needs
>> to be compatible with old Pythons.
>
> doctest compatibility with 2.4 is neither a goal nor a non-goal for
> 2.5.  I'm not sure why it's being asked, since the incompatible change
> projected for 2.5 is in how the trackback module spells some exception
> names; and doctest (every version of doctest) gets its idea of the
> name of an exception from the traceback module.

Ah, yes.  (Does the channelling service extend to divining the questions
that posters on python-dev *should* have asked?  No?)

OK, I suppose I should have asked "will 2.5's module traceback work with
Python 2.4?".  I guess the answer is something resembling "no", but of
course (?) the question I'm really interested in is "how, without too much
effort or ugliness, can people run their doctests on both 2.4 and 2.5"?

I guess if I care sufficiently, I should just go ahead and back-port to
2.4 <insert whatever #$!& code turns out to need back-porting here ;-> and
post it somewhere for the public good.

John