[Python-Dev] setuptools in 2.5.

Baptiste Carvello baptiste13 at altern.org
Fri Apr 21 01:18:31 CEST 2006

Hello,

just one more datapoint to help Phillip change his mind on the default install
behavior and the monkeypatching: this is actually hurting adoption of setuptools.

example: the matplotlib folks wanted to add *optional* setuptool support, but
this is impossible because simply importing setuptools has too much
side-effects. So instead, they ask the setuptool users to use
python -c "import setuptools; execfile('setup.py')" install
That's just too bad, and much more confusing than setup.py install_egg !

Oh, and don't get me wrong, I *love* eggs. They are great for many use cases,
even for a Debian user!
 From the "user" point of view, they definitely belong in the stdlib, the
sooner, the better. They just need a little bit more polishing.

Phillip, thank you a lot for making this happen :-) I feel that the hostility is
undeserved.

Baptiste