[Python-Dev] setuptools in 2.5.

Anthony Baxter anthony at interlink.com.au
Fri Apr 21 05:38:29 CEST 2006

On Friday 21 April 2006 03:31, Fredrik Lundh wrote:
> skip at pobox.com wrote:
> > Maybe they know something we don't.
>
> oh, please.  it's not like people like myself and MAL don't know
> anything about package distribution...
>
> (why is it that people who *don't* distribute stuff are a lot more
> im- pressed by a magic tool than people who've spent the last
> decade distributing stuff ?  has it ever occurred to you that we
> know some- thing that you don't ?)

Er - what? I've been distributing, packaging and installing any number
of Python packages for 10 years or more now. Sure, none of them are
on the popularity scale of PIL or the mx.* tools, but there's been a
lot of them. I also understand distutils pretty well. And I _am_
impressed by some of the features added by setuptools.

As far as "knowing something you don't" - well, yes. You and MAL are
undoubtedly extremely knowledgable about distutils. But it should not
be a requirement for package authors that they become an expert in
the packaging software just to make a release!

I said it before, and I'll say it again: The audience for Python
should not only consist of the people on python-dev.

Anthony