[Python-Dev] 2.5 status

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Fri Aug 4 11:26:42 CEST 2006

Neal Norwitz wrote:
> I believe all 3 outstanding issues (and solutions!) could use some
> more discussion.  All bugs/patches blocking release are set to
> priority 9.
>
>         http://python.org/sf/1530559 - struct rejecting floats (patch pending)
>
>         http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2006-July/067774.html
>                 Problem with __index__ (patch pending)
>
>         http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2006-August/067926.html
>                 str/unicode dict keys can raise an exception

I'd like to add this issue:

	http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2006-August/067869.html
	distutils version string should become static again

This is part of a longer discussion we can have after 2.6
final is out, but for now, I would like to request that the
change

http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-checkins/2006-July/055139.html

be backed out again before c1 gets released.

In the above patch, the distutils version was made to dynamically
depend on the Python version running the code, effectively
making it impossible to query the true distutils version that
is being used, bypassing the whole purpose of having static
version in the code.

I don't really see manually bumping the version number every
now and then to be such a great issue and have also volunteered
to take care of that in the future.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Aug 04 2006)