[Python-Dev] 2.5 status

Georg Brandl g.brandl at gmx.net
Fri Aug 4 11:49:24 CEST 2006

Neal Norwitz wrote:
> Things are getting better, but we still have some really important
> outstanding issues.  PLEASE CONTINUE TESTING AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE.
> Also, it would be great to use as many tools as possible to find bugs
> and improve quality.  It would be especially nice to run Purify on
> Windows.
>
> I've updated PEP 356 with the current status.  The current schedule is:
>
>     rc 1:    August 18, 2006 [planned]
>     final:   September 12, 2006 [planned]
>
> This somewhat strange schedule is to accommodate availability of
> people cutting the release.  A branch will be made when the release
> candidate is done.  Don't try to rush bug fixes in.  Let's try to keep
> things stable.  Keep the doc fixes coming.

>         http://python.org/sf/1523610 - PyArg_ParseTupleAndKeywords
> potential core dump

This one's almost fixed if we can decide what to do with "levels".
I wrote some time ago:

"""
With respect to this bug (which is about stack issues in Python/getargs.c
involving misuse of the "levels" array), I think that we can drop the
"levels" thing completely. It's only there to tell the user which exact item
passed as part of a tuple argument cannot be accepted (and only if that
function is implemented in C code). As tuple arguments
are very rare "argument x" should be enough to tell the user that
something's wrong with that tuple.
"""

Georg