[Python-Dev] windows 2.5 build: use OpenSSL for hashlib [bug 1535502]

Gregory P. Smith greg at electricrain.com
Mon Aug 7 20:21:23 CEST 2006

On Tue, Aug 08, 2006 at 03:25:46AM +1000, Anthony Baxter wrote:
> I'm nervous about this change being made at this stage of the release process.
> It seems to me to have a chance of causing breakages - admittedly a small
> chance, but one that's higher than I'd like.

Sigh.  Half the reason I did the hashlib work was to get much faster
optimized versions of the hash algorithms into python.  I'll be
disappointed if that doesn't happen.

hashlib passes its test suite with our without openssl.  If I make the
windows project file updates to simply build and include _hashlib.pyd
in the windows installer what harm is that going to cause?  IMHO the
windows python 2.5 build as it is is missing a feature by not
including this.

> I'd also like to make sure that the PCBuild8 directory is updated at the same
> time - with the recent disappearance of the previous free MS compiler
> version, I think this will become more important over the 18 months or so of
> Python 2.5's life.

agreed.

frustrated..
-greg