[Python-Dev] Unicode Data in Python2.5 is missing a ucd_4_1_0 object

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Thu Aug 10 21:05:46 CEST 2006

Armin Ronacher schrieb:
> I discovered that unicodedata in python2.5 implements unicode 4.1. While
> this is ok it's possible enforce unicode 3.2 by using the ucd_3_2_0 object.
> But it's not possible to enforce a ucd_4_1_0 standard because that object
> does not exist by now.

Not sure what you mean by "enforce". Isn't

assert unicodedata.unidata_version == '4.1.0'

enough enforcement?

> And furthermore the docstring claims that this module just implements unicode
> 3.2.0 whereas unidata_version gives me 4.1.0

That's a bug; thanks for pointing it out. I just fixed it in r51194.

> Doesn't that mean that there should also be an way to enforce unicode 4.1.0?

You mean, that there should be a ucd_4_1_0 object? No, why do you think
there should be one? We don't plan to provide a copy of the UCD for each
UCD version that was ever released (e.g. we skipped some between 3.2 and
4.1 also).

Regards,
Martin