[Python-Dev] no remaining issues blocking 2.5 release

Kurt B. Kaiser kbk at shore.net
Wed Aug 16 04:44:40 CEST 2006

Anthony Baxter <anthony at interlink.com.au> writes:

> I'd also like to see idle's separate version number go away and have
> it start using the Python version number - maybe as of 2.6?

+1

When we merged IDLEfork the consensus was to keep the versioning
separate.  But it seems confusing and is extra work for the release
managers.

> This would then also mean we could pull idle's separate NEWS file into
> the master NEWS file. Right now, the "release notes" on the webpage
> miss all IDLE release notes, since it's just the main NEWS file.

-1

Right now IDLE has a button in the "About IDLE" dialog which accesses
the IDLE NEWS.txt file, and another which accesses Python's NEWS.
IDLE users may not want to grovel through all the Python changes to
find out what changed in the IDE.

It would be nice if the key IDLE changes could make it to the "What's New
in Python X.X".  If Andrew is interested, I could draft something for him.

--
KBK