[Python-Dev] draft of patch guidelines

Chad Whitacre chad at zetaweb.com
Fri Aug 25 05:01:47 CEST 2006

Brett,

 > Below is a draft for a set of patch guidelines.

Thanks for getting around to this!

 > Wait for a developer to contact you
 > ===================================
 >
 > At this point you need to wait for a Python developer to come along
 > and look at your patch.  This might be a while as all Python
 > developers are volunteers and thus have a limited amount of time.  Do
 > not be surprised if it takes weeks or more before your patch is
 > examined.
 >
 > There is a standing offer that if you review five other patches (by
 > commenting on its correctness, helping it meet these guidelines,
 > etc.), then a developer will definitely have a look at any patch you
 > specify.  Just email python-dev with what five patches you reviewed
 > (and what you did for the review) and the patch you want examined.

May I suggest the following wording for this section? This is basically
the feedback I found most helpful a few weeks ago; it's more specific
about how notification and the 5-for-1 rule work.

most core Python developers subscribe to. But remember that Open Source
runs on volunteerism and meritocracy. If you are a new Python
contributor, then your patch may languish for weeks or more before
anyone volunteers a response.

Python addresses this barrier to entry with a "5-for-1 rule." Pick five
other patches or bugs, try to apply or reproduce them, and then report
your results back to the tracker. Then, send a note to python-dev
listing the five you reviewed and the patch id of your own patch, and
one of Python's "patch angels" will get the ball rolling on your patch.

chad