[Python-Dev] draft of patch guidelines

Chad Whitacre chad at zetaweb.com
Sun Aug 27 20:41:21 CEST 2006

Brett,

 > When you submit your patch, the tracker notifies a mailing list that
 > most core Python developers subscribe to of the creation of your new
 > patch.

Isn't "of the creation of your new patch" redundant? What else would it
be notifying the list of?

 > Your patch may languish for weeks or more before anyone volunteers a
 > response because of limited time on the part of Python developers.

I think this is less accurate. Patches languish because of limited time
*and* because newbies don't have any social capital w/in the Python
community. New patch contributors are volunteers too, so they understand
that constraint. Their big problem is their outsider status, to which
the patch angels/5-for-1 system is an elegant solution. And that's what
should be emphasized in this FAQ.

In other words, I still prefer my wording. But since I'm a newbie with
little merit, I'll be content with whatever you decide. :)

chad