[Python-Dev] Python and the Linux Standard Base (LSB)

Armin Rigo arigo at tunes.org
Sun Dec 3 19:28:41 CET 2006

Hi Andrew,

On Fri, Dec 01, 2006 at 03:27:09PM +1100, Andrew Bennetts wrote:
> In both the current Debian and Ubuntu releases, the "python2.4" binary package
> includes distutils.

Ah, distutils are distributed in the base package now, but not the
'config' subdirectory of a standard library's normal installation, which
makes distutils a bit useless.

I should go and file a bug, I guess.  The reason why I did not do it so
far, is that the fact that no one did tends to show that they really
think distributing 'config' is not the "right" thing to do.  A reasoning
along the lines of: "this subdir contains include files, so it should go
in the python-dev package".  I'm not too interested in fighting this
kind of preconception.

A bientot,

Armin.