[Python-Dev] Python and the Linux Standard Base (LSB)

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Sun Dec 3 19:56:34 CET 2006

Armin Rigo schrieb:
> Ah, distutils are distributed in the base package now, but not the
> 'config' subdirectory of a standard library's normal installation, which
> makes distutils a bit useless.
>
> I should go and file a bug, I guess.  The reason why I did not do it so
> far, is that the fact that no one did tends to show that they really
> think distributing 'config' is not the "right" thing to do.  A reasoning
> along the lines of: "this subdir contains include files, so it should go
> in the python-dev package".  I'm not too interested in fighting this
> kind of preconception.

It really depends on what you are trying to do with distutils. If you
want to package or install a distutils module, you need much more than
distutils: you may also need a compiler, you may need the complete set
of Python header files, and you may need header files for the libraries
your package depends on.

So if you use distutils to install a package, it's IMO reasonable to
require that the -dev package is installed.

People use distutils for other purposes today as well, and these
purposes might be supported now.

Regards,
Martin