[Python-Dev] fileinput module tests

Anthony Roy news at antroy.co.uk
Fri Dec 8 23:03:08 CET 2006

Hi all,

I have a patch for the fileinput.FileInput class, adding a parameter
to the __init__ method called write_mode in order to specify the write
mode when using the class with the inplace parameter set to True.

Before I submit the patch, I've added a test to the test module, and
noticed that the module is pretty messy, with half of the tests being
run in the module body, and the rest in a large function body.

I propose to refactor the module, moving the tests into a
unittest.TestCase subclass (essentially unchanged, bar changing verify
calls to self.assert_ calls, raise TestFailed(...) to self.fail(...)
etc). I think this will add clarity and modularity to the tests, and
bring them into line with the unittest based test suite used by the
test_file module amongst others (which I'm guessing are substantially
more up to date than test_fileinput).

Any thought?

Cheers,

--