[Python-Dev] release plan for 2.5 ?

Thomas Wouters thomas at xs4all.net
Sun Feb 12 11:51:41 CET 2006

On Sat, Feb 11, 2006 at 10:38:10PM -0800, Neal Norwitz wrote:
> On 2/10/06, Georg Brandl <g.brandl at gmx.net> wrote:

> > I am not experienced in releasing, but with the multitude of new things
> > introduced in Python 2.5, could it be a good idea to release an early alpha
> > not long after all (most of?) the desired features are in the trunk?

> In the past, all new features had to be in before beta 1 IIRC (it
> could have been beta 2 though).  The goal is to get things in sooner,
> preferably prior to alpha.

Well, in the past, features -- even syntax changes -- have gone in between
the last beta and the final release (but reminding Guido might bring him to
tears of regret. ;) Features have also gone into what would have been
'bugfix releases' if you looked at the numbering alone (1.5 -> 1.5.1 ->
1.5.2, for instance.) "The past" doesn't have a very impressive track
record... However, beta 1 is a very good ultimate deadline, and it's been
stuck by for the last few years, AFAIK. But I concur with:

> For 2.5, we should strive really hard to get features implemented
> prior to alpha 1.  Some of the changes (AST, ssize_t) are pervasive.
> AST while localized, ripped the guts out of something every script
> needs (more or less).  ssize_t touches just about everything it seems.

that as many features as possible, in particular the broad-touching ones,
should be in alpha 1.

--
Thomas Wouters <thomas at xs4all.net>