[Python-Dev] bdist_* to stdlib?

Trent Mick trentm at ActiveState.com
Wed Feb 15 20:18:56 CET 2006

[Bob Ippolito wrote]
> >    /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/...
> >    /Applications/MacPython-2.4/...  # just MacPython does this
>
> ActivePython doesn't install app bundles for IDLE or anything?

It does, but puts them under here instead:
    /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/X.Y/Resources/

> >Also, a receipt of the installation ends up here:
> >
> >    /Library/Receipts/$package_name/...
> >
> >though Apple does not provide tools for uninstallation using those
> >receipts.
>
> That stuff is really behind the scenes stuff that's wholly managed by
> Installer.app and is pretty much irrelevant.

Sure.

> Single apps are better than OK.  Download them by whatever means you
> want, put them wherever you want, and run them.  You can run any well-
> behaved application from a DMG (or a CD, or a USB key, or any other
> readable media).

For naive or new-to-mac users it is a confusing process to get the .app
bundle to an appropriate place and then start running it. Why else have
various app distributors out there come up with myriad slick background
images for their DMG's trying to instruct users what to do with the
icons in the mounted DMG's Finder window?

On Windows you download an MSI (it ends up in your browser downloads
folder), it starts the installation, and the end of the installation it
starts the app for you. The app is nicely in Program Files. No need to
eject something. No need to find somewhere to drag the icon.

I'll grant that having the whole thing in one bundle is cool/handy/cute.

...anyway this is getting seriously OT for python-dev. :)

Trent

--
Trent Mick
TrentM at ActiveState.com