[Python-Dev] defaultdict proposal round three

Bengt Richter bokr at oz.net
Tue Feb 21 18:09:36 CET 2006

On Tue, 21 Feb 2006 05:58:52 -0800, "Guido van Rossum" <guido at python.org> wrote:

>On 2/20/06, Bengt Richter <bokr at oz.net> wrote:
>> How about doing it as an expression, empowering ( ;-) the dict just afer creation?
>> E.g., for
>>
>>     d = dict()
>>     d.default_factory = list
>>
>> you could write
>>
>>     d = dict()**list
>
>Bengt, can you let your overactive imagination rest for a while? I
>recommend that you sit back, relax for a season, and reflect on the
>zen nature of Pythonicity. Then come back and hopefully you'll be able
>to post without embarrassing yourself continuously.

It is tempting to seek vindication re "embarrassing yourself continuously"
but I'll let it go, and treat it as an opportunity to explore the nature
of my ego a little further ;-)

I am not embarrassed by having an "overactive imagination," thank you,
but if it is causing a problem for you here, I apologize, and will withdraw.
Thanks for the nudge. I really have been wasting a lot of time using python
trivial pursuits as an escape from tackling stuff that I haven't been ready for.
It's time I focus. Thanks, and good luck. I'll be off now ;-)

Regards,
Bengt Richter