[Python-Dev] defaultdict proposal round three

Raymond Hettinger raymond.hettinger at verizon.net
Wed Feb 22 16:21:50 CET 2006

[Alex]
> I'd love to remove setdefault in 3.0 -- but I don't think it can be  done
> before that: default_factory won't cover the occasional use  cases where
> setdefault is called with different defaults at different  locations, and,
> rare as those cases may be, any 2.* should not break  any existing code that
> uses that approach.

I'm not too concerned about this one.  Whenever setdefault gets deprecated ,
then ALL code that used it would have to be changed.  If there were cases with
different defaults, a regular try/except would do the job just fine (heck, it
might even be faster because the won't be a wasted instantiation in the cases
where the key already exists).

There may be other reasons to delay removing setdefault(), but multiple default
use case isn't one of them.

>> An alternative is to have two possible attributes:
>>   d.default_factory = list
>> or
>>   d.default_value = 0
>> with an exception being raised when both are defined (the test is  done when
>> the
>> attribute is created, not when the lookup is performed).
>
> I see default_value as a way to get exactly the same beginner's error  we
> already have with function defaults:

That makes sense.

I'm somewhat happy with the patch as it stands now.  The only part that needs
serious rethinking is putting on_missing() in regular dicts.  See my other email
on that subject.

Raymond